Why the Small Things

So I realized that I hadn't actually posted the article that inspired me to look at the small things that make me happy.

This post by David Brooks, with full essays on this page.  He asked people to send in essays describing how they found their purpose in life - not always a large thing.

One of my favorite lines from Elizabeth Young:
“Perhaps,” she concludes, “the mission is not a mission at all. ... Everywhere there are tiny, seemingly inconsequential circumstances that, if explored, provide meaning” and chances to be generous and kind. Spiritual and emotional growth happens in microscopic increments.

I found the article via Cup of Jo, and stumbled across it again today via exPress-o.

I'm still working on my purpose, but looking at it in smaller increments these days and trying to be thankful for each one.

Labels: