Weekend and Donuts

This has been a great weekend, mostly because I finally got to spend a lot of time with Todd, which we haven't been able to do recently (the past month), due to work schedules and traveling.  We did our second neighborhood walk on Saturday, down to Harbor East and Fells Point, wandering in and out of stores, spending some quality time at Max's for beer and tots, grocery shopping.  He talked me into buying a new purse (!!! love that man) and we decided that the new Under Armor store is going to be very dangerous.  Their marketing is spot-on; as soon as we walked in, we both wanted to buy about 20 things and go work out like crazy.  They do need to ease up on the Axe though, I don't need to know what it feels like to be in a body spray commercial. 

Later on we joined some friends for a dino-themed party to celebrate 20 years of Jurassic Park.  I can't believe I was so young when that movie came out!  Men still wore shorts above mid-thigh!  We had fun pointing out the inconsistancies in the movie, such as perfectly clean boots after spending a night running through the mud away from T-Rex. 

This morning I crossed another goal off my 30x30 list - making donuts.  We were given a donut maker for our wedding and I finally took it for the first spin this morning.  I modified the standard recipe a bit for the first try to make it GF and vegan(ish).

Classic Donuts:
makes 10 mini-donuts
1.5 C flour - I used .5 cup each of white rice, tapioca and sorghum flours 
(it has become my new standard mix for baking and I love the consistency)
.5 tsp xanthum gum
1.5 tsp baking powder
.75-1 C rice milk
9 tbsp butter (or vegan butter, or a mix with canola oil)
1 tsp vanilla
.5 C agave 

It took about 6 minutes for each batch in the donut maker.

Adorable donut-shaped donut maker!

My mess of a counter - just had to use the fun-colored bowls to go with the happiest of days!

 
They come out a little nicer if you use a piping bag or bottle, but they taste just as good no matter how they look!


So delicious!  I made a quick maple glaze to dip them in as well.  I have to admit, this is my second batch because after I started the first one, my piping bag burst, only to allow me to discover that since it was probably from the 1980s the lining was coming off into the batter so I threw them all away.  Next time I will get a bottle or something to use so that they are a little smoother and just more aesthetic.  Todd and I had to stop ourselves from eating ALL of them before church.  Now that I know how easy they are to make (way easier than pancakes), they will probably become a regular occurrence around here!

Labels: , ,