Can People Change?

That was the question Ellis posed to us this morning at the beginning of service.  Do we believe that Christ came and died for a reason and are we just on this earth waiting for heaven or are we able to change our live to live them out with more reason, more grace, regardless of our circumstances?

I still struggle with "believing."  I believe in a lot of things, but the whole mystery of Jesus Christ is still out of my grasp. 

But, today I witnessed a baptism.  It was of a man in his 60s (I'm guessing here) who began seeking and asking questions a year ago.  I don't know his story and I don't know him, but I was able to witness what I am sure was a Life-Altering part in that journey.  Ellis spoke the words "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit", covered his nose and mouth with a cloth and immersed him in the water, bringing him back up soaked and full of new life.  At that moment something broke in me and I couldn't help the tears.  Were they tears of joy for Bob?  Tears of sadness or fear for myself, feeling like I want something but don't know how to get it or if I even want to?  Maybe a bit of both. 

But believer or not I don't think you can be a witness to a life moment like that and not be moved on some level. 

Blessings to you, Bob.  I am thrilled for you on your journey.

Labels: